I recently got put in the interviewee hot seat by my friend Joseph Apolinar, a United States Air Force SERE (survival, evasion, resistance, and escape) specialist.
Whether it’s in the desert, the arctic, at sea, in the jungle, or as a prisoner of war, airmen must be prepared to survive, evade, resist, and escape any situation. And it’s the SERE specialists’ mission to train them. These experts know how to survive in the most remote and hostile environments on the planet. It’s up to them to make sure that when a mission doesn’t go as planned, the airmen involved are ready for anything and can return with honor.
So Joseph Apolinar is kinda a badass and even visited my property in Spokane, Washington to take me and my sons through a pretty epic, personalized wilderness survival course.
But this podcast isn’t about survival.
It’s about me.
Joseph Apolinar wanted to get a glimpse of my environment, to expose himself to some words or ideas that may offer insight to better my life in business, with family, and in life, and to learn how I am productive, how I schedule and live the average day, and the routines, rituals, habits that I depend upon for success and impact.
During our discussion, you’ll discover:
-Thoughts on maintaining balance in your life…08:30
- You are who you hang out with
- Traeger grill
- Dry Farm Wine
- How you spend your days is how we spend your life
- Self-examining thoughts via a journal
- You affect others when you improve your own life
- BGF podcast with Rick Rubin:
-Why Ben begins his productive day very early in the day…13:56
- Wake at 4:30-5:00 a.m.; no alarm; wake when the body wakes
- Map out the day the night prior
- Sleeping and walking (or praying) on problems
- Care for one’s body and spirit at the beginning of the day
- Do less productive things in the evening; go to bed early if you’re done with the day’s work
- Self-care; Ayurvedic routines in the morning
- BGF podcast with Dr. Bhaswati Bhattacharya:
- Tackle the most important items first thing
- Reactive tasks (involves other people) mid-morning thru the afternoon
-How Ben maintains balance with work structure and family/friend relationships and obligations…26:44
- Sacrifice for others (Jesus is the best model to follow)
- Spiritual Disciplines Journal
- Highly protective of assigned time for productive tasks (early morning)
- My Utmost for His Highest by Oswald Chambers
- Schedule important things such as intimate time with wife and children
- Outsource more mundane tasks such as mowing the lawn; hire an assistant
- The 4-hour Workweek by Tim Ferris
- BusyCal app
- You sacrifice some things in order to be more impactful in other ways
- KetoFast by Dr. Joseph Mercola
- Work doesn’t feel like “work” when you’re living a self-actualized life and career
- Deep Work by Cal Newport
- Rent Ubers rather than a car while traveling so you can work in the back seat of the car
-How controlling your diet affects your productivity…49:40
-The one animal Ben would choose to be, and why…1:07:18
-And much more!
Resources from this episode:
– Joe Apolinar:
– Other Resources:
–Kion Clean Protein: Organic natural flavors, Himalayan sea salt, and stevia deliver rich chocolate and velvety smooth vanilla flavors that are out of this world—seriously, even in plain ole’ water.
–Organifi Gold: A new take on an ancient secret: Pain-soothing herbs, incredible antioxidants, and phytonutrients all in one delicious, soothing “Golden Milk” nighttime tea! Receive a 20% discount on your entire order when you use discount code BENG20.
–Butcher Box: Delivers healthy 100% grass-fed and finished beef, free-range organic chicken, and heritage breed pork directly to your door on a monthly basis. All their products are humanely raised and NEVER given antibiotics or hormones.
–Water and Wellness: The best solution for clean and safe drinking water. Water and Wellness also offers an amazing line of essential water additives such as Quinton Marine plasma which contains over 78 trace minerals and elements from the ocean to help restore your biological terrain. Get 15% off your order when you use discount code GREENFIELD.